04 Oct CIF, SCHOOLS and ECO MODULAR BUILDINGS
It’s that time of year again. The Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) is due to open for bidding this month (October 2017). If you are the leader of a single academy trust, smaller multi-academy trust (MATs), or sixth form college; now is the time to prepare your bid.
If this is your first time bidding, you can register to use the CIF portal at www.gov.uk/guidance/condition-improvement-fund. Keep an eye on the website for updates on application and registration deadlines.
What does a CIF bid entail?
The Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) is a government incentive, designed to help schools and academies improve the condition of their buildings and premises.
Who is eligible to apply for a CIF bid? – Who can apply?
Sixth-form colleges and academies can apply for CIF, including single academies, small Multi-Academy Trusts (those with less than five schools and/or 3000 pupils) and all-through schools with sixth-form facilities. The application process is completed online, and must be done by a member of the school or academy’s staff who has previously signed agreements with the DfE (in almost all cases, the Head or SBM) and cannot be filled out by an outside adviser or temporary staff member.
Schools can apply for more than one CIF grant, but applications must be submitted separately and will be reviewed independently. The outcome of one project will not affect another, and priority is given to certain applications over others.
Which projects are and aren’t eligible?
Whilst all projects are reviewed with the same level of scrutiny, some are more likely to be funded based on need or urgency. For example, the expansion of an academy in an over-subscribed area will be given priority over one with less demand, and projects involving the removal of harmful materials such as asbestos will also be treated with a higher level of concern. In order to move to the next stage of assessment, eligible projects will be rated in three areas: project need (70 percent), project planning (15 percent) and value for money (15 percent). Those with the highest overall scores will be funded first.
Applications for funding for new ICT equipment, furniture or other technology is not eligible and can be applied for under separate government finance initiatives. Funding for projects costing less than £20,000 for primary or special schools or £50,000 for secondary schools and sixth-form academies will not be granted, and this budget will need to come from existing DFC funding.
How does the CIF benefit schools?
With schools continually expanding and wanting to improve their condition and facilities, the fund can assist them by:-
- Enhancing a building’s energy efficiency
- Improving security and providing safe premises for pupils and teachers
- Improving facilities to create positive learning environments for both students and teachers
- Creating bigger school premises to take in increasingly larger intakes of pupils from the surrounding area and allowing them to learn in a fun and modern environment
- Modernise heating and electrical systems
- Creating eco-friendly and environmentally friendly premises, which can help to reduce financial expenditure whilst caring for the environment at the same time
CIF bidding is highly competitive. To ensure that you have the edge over your competitors, choose an eco modular building- they are proven to win CIF bids.
Eco modular buildings are constructed in a safe enclosed environment of a factory while all groundworks are taking place. That means less construction time, less disruption and less cost than the traditional build. Furthermore, eco modular buildings are fitted with the latest eco technology to offer a green solution to all schools.
With less money to spend, less disruption time, less time to build and a higher chance to win your CIF funding biding, eco modular buildings are the way forward for a green and more environmentally sensitive solution.
Recently, Modulek have launched a prototype of a unique eco modular buildings. Find the 10 reason for choosing a Modulek eco modular building.
- Modulek’s MF7 formula to success- our unique experience providing you with follow up, fixed price, full design service, free professional site survey, flexible design, fast action and a family experience!
- Heat/Cool Air-Conditioning- Electric heat pumps that are triple A rated to provide greater energy efficiency, comfortable airflow distribution as well as looking modern and sleek.
- Double glazed windows- reduced heat loss which saves you money on heating bills.
- Insulation – high performance insulation to walls, floor and roof- lowering costs on heating bills.
- Costing you as little as 95p per day to run your classroom- cost efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Recessed LED lighting- energy efficient lights that are brighter with less maintenance.
- A rated energy performance certified.
- External timber cladding from a sustainable source- Heat treated Thermowood which gives your building a 60 year maintenance free design life.
- Photovoltaic panels- these are the ultimate panel for energy efficiency, harvesting daylight to save you money.
- Air Source heat pump – provides water heating- this is next generation energy saving technology.